Eating with Braces
There are plenty of foods to enjoy while wearing braces, but you will need to take special care to avoid certain foods that could damage your appliances. Damaged appliances can increase the length of your treatment process, so be sure to take care of your braces.
Don't worry, you'll be eating popcorn and snacking on potato chips again in no time!
Foods to Avoid with Braces:
- Sticky and Chewy foods — bagels, licorice, gum, caramel, beef jerky
- Crunchy foods — popcorn, ice, crunchy chips
- Hard foods — nuts, hard candies
Foods to Use Caution or Cut Up:
- Pizza crusts, carrots, subs, etc.
- Foods that you bite into — corn on the cob, apples, chicken wings, ribs
Eat and Drink Less of:
- Sugary foods like cookies, pies, candy
- Sugary drinks like sodas and sports drinks
Foods You CAN Enjoy with Braces:
Think soft, healthy, and easy to chew!
- Dairy — cheese, pudding, ice cream, scrambled eggs
- Breads — tortillas, pancakes, muffins without nuts
- Grains — pasta, soft cooked rice
- Meats/poultry — chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood — tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables — mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits — applesauce, bananas, chopped fruits like apples and peaches
- Treats — milkshakes, smoothies, Jell-O, cake,